Do you think that you know everything about Alan Rickman? I am sure that I do not. Since I sadly did not know him personally, my knowledge of him is restricted to interviews. That said, I think that there are many surprising facts that are out there about Alan Rickman that many people may not know or realize off-hand.
I am certain there was more wonder to this magnificent man, but since we may never know everything, here are some fun facts that we do know about him.
- He was a graphic designer.Alan Rickman may have fallen in love with acting when he was a teenager, but he made the more sensible choice to pursue a career instead of acting. He went to school to become a graphic designer and worked both for the Notting Hill Herald as well as starting his own company. His older brother, David, is also a graphic designer.
- He was injured while filming his first day on the set of Die Hard. On the first day on set of filming with Bruce Willis, he tore the cartilage in his knee. He had not even shot one scene yet. He got his splint and returned to the set to carry on.
- He refused to watch his own movies. He said that he was concerned that he would overanalyze his work if he watched himself on-screen. So he did not get to witness all of his wonderfully amazing work that we all got to witness instead.
- He had a wonderful friendship with Daniel Radcliffe. Radcliffe, well-known for his role as Harry Potter has express how wonderful Rickman was to him as a child and how their friendship flourished. Radcliffe has expressed the fact that Rickman never missed any of his stage performances, no matter where they were showing. Radcliffe also recounted a story where Rickman played a prank on him during the filming of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Rickman planted a fart machine near Radcliffe and had it go off when the camera came in for a close-up.
- He worked hard to help the poor. In spite of his memorable role as the greedy and devious Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Rickman was an active patron for the charity Saving Faces. He was also an honorary president for the International Performers’ Aid Trust, which is a group that works hard against world poverty. This is also fitting considering the poor and tough upbringing of Severus Snape.
- He married for the first time in 2012. Rickman met the great love of his life, Rima Horton, when he was 19 years old. The couple moved in together in 1977 and remained together until his death in 2016. The couple finally tied the knot after for many years in a private ceremony in New York City in 2012. The general public did not know of their marriage until Rickman confirmed it in 2015 during an interview.
- His cancer was discovered due to a stroke. While most of us were completely blindsided by the fact that Rickman had terminal pancreatic cancer and it had taken his wonderful life away from us, the cancer was also a bit of a shock to him. In August 2015, Rickman suffered a minor stroke, which led to an extensive physical examination, and brought to light the pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is one of the most-deadly forms of cancer for many reasons, one of which being that it is very difficult to diagnose because by the time someone shows symptoms of it, it is too late to successfully treat.